Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Home Decor Projects and Sewing Plans

 I am going to show you a few projects I have been working on recently. There are no new garments to display, but I recently finished two or three things for my dear mum. 

First, a scrappy pillow cover:

 I sewed the blocks using this free Craftsy class as a general guideline.

 I sewed twenty-five separate six-inch blocks that were all made from scraps sewed to a backing square. I used a bunch of my leftovers from various projects and it was a lovely introduction to the concept of quilting. Definitely a win-win situation! The back is made of muslin and it is just a basic envelope closing. The only issue I had with this cover is that I did not overlap the back pieces enough, so now they gape open, but, lesson learned! And it is not enough of a problem for me to count this as anything except a success.

The next project is a pile of napkins with hand-crochet trim:

Look at that pile of frothy goodness! I made between fifteen and twenty napkins out of regular, natural-colored muslin. Each napkin has a different trim. I used some crochet thread that we had floating around for the edgings. I am almost positive that we originally purchased it from Walmart. I borrowed this book from my local library for the edging patterns. 

If you notice the discoloration of some of the trim, it is due to the amount of use they have already received and being washed with something dark colored.

 Here are a few close-ups:

 My mum was quite pleased with them!

Now then, onto my sewing plans for the next couple of weeks:
I am planning to use this fabric and Butterick 5509 to make a practical apron that will offer me thorough protection when I am exploding working in the kitchen.

I will be making this version.

I originally bought this fabric on sale with the intent to make a dress because I had fallen in love with the vibrant flowers,  but I did not realize until too late that the background was a cheetah print. Oh well, it will make a fantastic apron! 
The next project is Simplicity 1587 view B with the sleeves from view A:

 I will be using this pretty pink quilting cotton for it.

Alrighty! I will let you folks know how I get on.
Have a merry day.


No comments:

Post a Comment